Tuesday, January 13, 2009

... Letter I wrote to WEAR

let's see if they really care about my opinion ...

"As an active member of the student body at Pace High School, it would be easy for me to become discouraged and succumb to the wishes of the ACLU and discontinue to show my faith at school, but I will not and neither will the majority of my peers. If doing God's will on earth means ruffling some feathers, then so be it. All religious activities have been, and will continue to be, student led. To ban students from conducting religious gatherings, is to violate our first amendment rights, which state that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." We learn about Christianity in our history classes, but we also learn about Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and a plethora of other religions. Our educators teach about religion because it is the basis of all cultures, not because they are trying to turn their students from Atheists to believers. I can attest to the fact that our faculty and staff understand the severity of the law suit at hand, and although they have been strictly prohibited from imposing their religious beliefs on others, I will continue to share my faith because that is what I have been commanded to do. I have been very blessed, and have a lot to be thankful for; if speaking of how God has worked in my life during my speech at graduation jeopardizes my chance of receiving my diploma, it is a risk I am willing to take."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary I am very impressed that you're standing up for your beliefs.
We need more Christians like you. :)