Friday, November 14, 2008

Words of Wisdom

In the process of my 6-week long Bible study, I have come across some awesome scriptures. I'm reading The Treasures of the Transformed Life and I have definitely been seeing changes in my life; my faith has never been stronger. Sometimes the Bible gets a little wordy, so I have included my own interpretation of the verses. It's my job as a Christian to spread the good news, so take from this what you will(:

Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. - Psalm 119:37
translation: stop being so vain!

faith without deeds is dead. - James 2:26
translation: it's time to stop talking the talk, and start walking the walk. We talk it, but are we living it?

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that. -
James 2:18-19
translation: believing that there is a God is not the same as believing in God.

for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
Do everything without complaining or arguing. -
Philippians 2:13-14
translation: in everything we do, praise God for the opportunity He has given us.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. - Philippians 2:3-4
translation: learn to be humble! If we are doing things for recognition or to make ourselves feel better, we are doing them for the wrong reasons.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
translation: true love is perfect.

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. - 1 Timothy 4:12
translation: if we say that we are Christians, we should act like one. Be Christ-like in words, in actions, and deeds.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.You will seek me and find me then you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity.I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD,"and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile. - Jeremiah 29:11-14
translation: stop worrying about the future, God already has a plan for our lives. Trust in Him, and pray for His guidance.

Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. - 1 Peter 5:5-9
translation: listen to those with more experience. Resist temptation, and know that we are never alone in anything.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. - John 13:34
translation: spread some love!

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. - John 14:1
translation: let go and let God.

Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth. - 2 Timothy 22-25
translation: let us not shove our beliefs down the throat's of non-believers.

The Lord is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear? - Psalm 27:1
translation: do not be afraid, the Lord is on our side; with God all things are possible.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
- Proverbs 3:5-6
translation: pray, give praise, and keep the faith and our lives will be blessed.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matthew 6:34
translation: live life one day at a time!

He Who Does Not Know Love Does Not Know God, For God Is Love . - 1 John 4:8

21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. -James 1:21-22

translation: live a Christian life-style.

If any of you need wisdom, you should ask God, and it will be given to you. God is generous and won't correct you for asking. - James 1:5






No comments: